Alone In Kyoto

A blog I rarely update.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Today I bought my first kimono! Our speaking class went to a flea market at a local temple where we had to buy something to present as a 'Show & Tell' in our next class. So I bought a robot Karuta set (a Japanese card game which we all learned in our first tutorial in 1st year) and then I saw a pretty pretty kimono stall. I started sifting through them all, and before long I was being attended to by the two women on the stall, who were having fun dressing me up as a doll in all the different colours and patterns and finding one to go best with my blonde hair. Eventually I picked a pattern and we looked for an appropriate obi (the belt thing) to go with it. We found one and they tied it up and put me in front of a mirror, I quite liked it, and I seemed to be drawing quite a crowd of women who were stopping at the stall and saying "kirei!" or "kawaii!" ("pretty!" and "cute!") They seemed to like the fact that I was trying on kimonos :)

I will put a photo up soon, but as it's second-hand I want to give it a bit of a wash first. And I need to learn how to tie the obi myself. However, I did get a pretty picture of the floral court outside my window, which is now in bloom:



You go up to the little hut, and for 200 yen (under £1) they let you cut your own bunch of flowers. So now I need to head to the 100 yen shop and find a vase...

2 Comments:

  • At 25 October 2006 at 18:54, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How to wear Kimono in English.

    http://www.ichiroya.com/FAQ/FAQ.htm

    http://www.japanesekimono.com/wear_
    a_kimono.htm

    These sites below show more details, but written in Japanese.
    This is particularly precise!
    http://www.g-iseya.jp/kituke/kituke.htm

    http://www.hana-usagi.net/base/kituke-kimono.htm


    It is good for your study. Are you motivated to read Japanese easily???
    I hope it helps!!

    I can imagine you wear Kimono well.
    Kimono makes your nape of a neck attractive. When I told it my British friends, they didn't get what I meant well. I hope you got what I meant.

     
  • At 26 October 2006 at 04:30, Blogger Lisa said…

    Wow, thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home